RADIUS Questions

Dan dan at liai.org
Tue Jul 26 22:10:25 CEST 2011

Garber,

Thanks for your reply.

We do not manage every machine in the building. We allow for users to
bring in there personal laptops to work and they vary in manufacture and
OS. We have machines with Windows versions ranging from XP to 7. Same is
true with Mac OS X, the oldest version we run is 10.4.11 and the newest
is 10.6.8. We have some Linux clients be these are all hardwired so they
aren't a concern.

All of the Macs in our building, that is the ones that aren't personal
machines, are joined to our domain. The few PC machines that we do
manage are joined to our AD server but I would say that the vast
majority of the PCs are not managed and not joined to out AD server. All
windows systems--XP through 7--have to be setup the way I described
earlier in order for this to work.<http://www.liai.org>

I don't think that I'm using the supplicant but I could be wrong. I'm
running FreeRadius 2.1.7-7.e15 ( I believe this is the latest) with
freeradius2-krb5-2.1.7-7.e15 and freeradius2-utils-2.1.7-7.e15.

I'm pretty sure I'm using PEAP.

I realize that and I'm going to work on using our wild card cert to
better secure this. However the question still arises on will our SSL
cert validate properly on a Windows system. When I initially set this up
I never saw anything regarding and 802.11x config. After updating I seem
to remember seeing this config file mentioned.

"Why do you want to use manual authentication as opposed to
automatic?  If the machines that are connecting are joined
to your A/D domain, you may want to consider using machine
authentication. User authentication, in the current release, doesn't support MS-CHAP password change. Also, user authentication with the Windows supplicant requires the
presence of cached credentials (because you logon locally
first and then connect to the wireless network) which may
not match current A/D credentials."

Like I mentioned above not all, actually few machines, are managed via
our AD server. I would love to change this but it would require far more
administrative changes that I'm unable to make.

Dan

Like I mentioned our Windows versions vary from XP to 7.