Config for proxying based on auth-protocol

Nitin Bhardwaj nbhardwaj at merunetworks.com
Tue May 10 07:18:40 CEST 2011

Hello ,

I want to configure FreeRADIUS to do the following two things:

(1)  Handle tunnel for PEAP authentication requested by any supplicant(s),
       and do mschapv2 auth with another RADIUS server.  (Irrespective
of the realm in the user-name)

(2) Transparently proxy all other non-PEAP requests to another RADIUS
server (like LEAP, EAP-FAST etc etc).
      ( Again, Irrespective of the realm in the user-name).

My config for (1) is already working (eap.conf below) and FreeRADIUS is
properly doing
ms-chapv2 auth with another RADIUS server. However, I tried many changes
in config, but could not
configure it to do (2). FreeRADIUS itself tries to handle LEAP and
EAP-FAST requests.

Please guide me in configuring FreeRADIUS for (2) above.

My eap.conf:
eap {
                 default_eap_type = mschapv2
                 timer_expire     = 60
                 ignore_unknown_eap_types = yes
                 cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
                 max_sessions = 2048
                 tls {
                         certdir = ${confdir}/certs
                         cadir = ${confdir}/certs
                         private_key_file = ${certdir}/server.key
                         certificate_file = ${certdir}/server.pem
                         CA_file = ${certdir}/ca.pem
                         dh_file = ${certdir}/dh
                         random_file = ${certdir}/random
                         cipher_list = "DEFAULT"
                         make_cert_command = "${certdir}/bootstrap"
                         cache {
                               enable = no
                               lifetime = 24
                               max_entries = 255