Renaming during Machine Authentication

Mark Jones mjones at hpsd48.ab.ca
Mon May 16 02:03:36 CEST 2011

Hi Phil thanks for answering. I am trying to authenticate the machines on bootup. I have an edir backend and am following this cool solutions article which is fairly old:  http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17044.html  In it they talk about atrrib-rewrite but use it in the radiusd.conf file which in my limited knowledge of freeradius I think is an older way of doing it.

Right now if i join a machine to the samba domain I have created, it automatically is imported into edirectory and named "machinename$". The article is not complete so I am really not sure if the machine is supposed to authenticate to edir or samba during bootup but the end result I want is the machine to authenticate on startup so the user has a single sign on experience like they would if they plugged into the network.

Thanks again

Mark

On 05/13/2011 11:21 PM, Mark Jones wrote:
> That sounds good...where exactly do I put that in the config files?

Well, since you didn't explain why you wanted to rename it (for what
purpose) I can't say for sure.

Usually, a lot of what goes on in FreeRADIUS is done with string
expansions - for example you might have an SQL query defined in sql.conf:

  some_query = "select something from table where
username='%{SQL-User-Name}"

In this case, you're replace that with:

  some_query = "select something from table where
username='%{mschap:User-Name}"

But this is just an example. You need to be more specific about the
problem(s) you're having if you want people to give you advice.
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.