Problems with my radrelay configuration?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 11 17:04:16 CEST 2011

tonimanel wrote:
> Now, I have configured radiusd.conf with this code:

  That should read from the detail file...

> And radrelay.conf with this code:
>
> listen {
>         identity = radrelay

  What's "identity" ?

  I *always* get worried when people do things which aren't necessary.
It means that they haven't followed the existing documentation, or
understood it.  It means that they're likely making random changes
without a clear understanding as to what's going on.

> #  See also raddb/sites-available/copy-acct-to-home-server
> #  for additional description.
> #
> preacct {
>         #
>         #  Proxy the packet using the given realm.
>         #  Note that we do not use the realm for anything else such
>         #  as prefix/suffix stripping or comparisons.
>         #
>         update control {
>                 Proxy-To-Realm := "radrelay"
>         }

  OK... radrelay is supposed to proxy the packets.

> I get this output and server continueing without to write the detail file:

  Uh... the configuration you showed above is for radrelay.  You did
*not* tell the main radius server to use the "radrelay-detail" module.

  Edit raddb/sites-available/default.  Look for "accounting".  In it,
look for "detail".  Replace that with "radrelay-detail".

> root at debian:/etc/freeradius# clear; freeradius -X -n radrelay

  Once again, radrelay *reads* the detail file.

  Your comment above is that the server doesn't *write* the detail file.

  Send accounting packets to the main FreeRADIUS server.  It should
write them to the detail file.  radrelay will read them from the detail
file.

  I really don't know how to make that any simpler.  I've said it a
number of times.  You need to read the previous paragraph until you
understand it.

> The same output! What's happening?

  The server is doing exactly what you told it to do, and exactly what I
said it would do.