Problem with crypt passwords matching

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Aug 15 23:23:54 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Robert Haskins
<robert.haskins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I get a reject, even though the
> crypt'd passwords match!

That's not how crypt works. You don't compare the crypted password.

> [pap] login attempt with password "krt444"

that is what the user sends

> [pap] Using CRYPT password "*3u.3LS/VKTOVc"

that is what FR reads from whatever backend which stores user
information (in your case, should be the unix module)

> The crypt'd password ("*3u.3LS/VKTOVc") is exactly what is in the
> /etc/shadow file.

because that's where FR reads it from, of course it's the same.

> So I am confident the shared secret is correct.

Shared secret has nothing to do with your problem.

> What am I doing wrong?

Simple. Is "krt444" the correct password? FR says it's not.

--
Fajar