Pool-Name attribute issue WAS Re: Unknown Auth-Type "LDAP" in authenticate sub-section

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Mon Mar 12 16:44:42 CET 2012

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM,  <up at 3.am> wrote:
>>> So to save lots of time and configuration problem: does your LDAP
>>> store user passwords in clear text or any "common" hash (e.g. md5,
>>> unix)? If yes, AND you know what the LDAP attribute is, you don't even
>>> need an LDAP section in authenticate.
>>
>> Mostly crypt, but I've seen a few SSHA hashes.  I know the ldap attribute as
>> well.  Assuming those hashes are "common" enough, what do I need to do?
>
> If the hash is supported (see
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/Protocol%20Compatibility) , you only need
> to make sure FR sees it in the right place. See ldap.atrmap.
>

>> I should point out that I had been using:
>>
>> DEFAULT         Auth-Type = Ldap
>>
>> In the users file as well on the two older servers, despite docs that say that
>> it
>> is "almost always wrong", but it was the only way we got it working.
>>

> If you have the attribute, and the hash is supported, you shouldn't need that.

I've taken that out on the new, 2.1.12 install and now a typical DEFAULT entry
looks like this:

DEFAULT         Group == "FOO", Pool-Name :="FOO_pool"

It seems to instantiate the module ok:

 Module: Linked to module rlm_ippool
 Module: Instantiating module "FOO_pool" from file /usr/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
  ippool FOO_pool {
	session-db = "/usr/etc/raddb/db.FOO_ippool"
	ip-index = "/usr/etc/raddb/db.FOO_ipindex"
	key = "%{NAS-IP-Address} %{NAS-Port}"
	range-start = 172.17.0.101
	range-stop = 172.17.0.253
	netmask = 255.255.255.0
	cache-size = 251
	override = yes
	maximum-timeout = 0

The Access-Request packet looks ok:

	Framed-Protocol = PPP
	User-Name = "someuser"
	User-Password = "somepassword"
	NAS-Port-Type = Virtual
	NAS-Port = 2
	NAS-Port-Id = "Uniq-Sess-ID2"
	Service-Type = Framed-User
	NAS-IP-Address = some pptp cisco device

LDAP authentication then succeeds as it should.

[pap] WARNING: Auth-Type already set.  Not setting to PAP
++[pap] returns noop
Found Auth-Type = ldap1

LDAP bind is then successful as it should be, but then:

# Executing section post-auth from file /usr/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default
[FOO_pool] Could not find Pool-Name attribute.
++[FOO_pool] returns noop

I assume I must be doing something wrong now with the users file entry.  The old,
working one was this:

DEFAULT		Group == FOO, Pool-Name :="FOO_pool", Auth-Type = Ldap
 		Framed-Protocol == PPP,
 		Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP

The new one is currently:

DEFAULT		Group == "FOO", Pool-Name :="FOO_pool"

I have tried the Framed-Protocol=PPP (is this still desired for PPTP, BTW?), I
have tried setting:

Service-Type = Framed-User

At the beginning and end of the line, same for "Login-User", but the "Could not
find Pool-Name attribute" persists.  The config files are all the same as the
older versions (2.1.09-.10).  The pool name is listed in the accounting and
post-auth sections of sites-enabled/default.

Appreciate any clues as to what I missed.