.rpmnew files during RPM upgrade

Jonathan Gazeley jonathan.gazeley at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Sep 11 12:38:01 CEST 2012

I rolled and deployed an RPM of FreeRADIUS 2.2.0. As expected for RPM
packages, it left a number of *.rpmnew files in /etc/raddb.

Trouble is, FreeRADIUS reads these files as live configs and was unable
to start after the upgrade, until I had manually intervened and deleted
the .rpmnew files.

This isn't a new issue, I found this old thread in the archive:

http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2008-December/033694.html

It seems to me that the "broken" behaviour is not with RPM but with
FreeRADIUS. Can the regular expression that includes config files and
modules be tweaked to exclude *.rpmnew files? It would be nice if an
automated package management system didn't require manual intervention
to ensure that a critical service keeps running upon upgrade.

If I hadn't rolled my own RPM, I would eventually have received an
overnight update from CentOS, and my RADIUS servers would have remained
broken until the morning. That's something I'd rather avoid, and
something a lot of other admins would run into as well.

I don't really know much C but I looked at the source code. Blacklisting
specific file suffixes seems like a bad way to do it, but I suppose it's
too late now to insist that all config files end with .conf. Any other
ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan