[ANN] Version 3.0.0-rc1

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Sep 9 13:43:04 CEST 2013

On 9 Sep 2013, at 08:44, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter at restena.lu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> We are in feature freeze for 3.0. The configuration format and behaviour for 3.0 will be stable between now and the final release (as it was with release_3_0_0_rc0).
>>
>> If you are planning on deploying 3.0 and have an existing 2.x.x configuration you were planning to migrate when the 3.0 is released, now would be a good time to try that, and to report any issues or problematic behavior changes you notice.
>>
>> To provide a single point to test against, the release_3_0_0_rc1 tag has been created.
>
> When trying to "make install" with the custom way of avoiding raddb as
> suggested on the list earlier (i.e.
>
> mv raddb raddb-noinst
> mkdir raddb
> touch raddb/all.mk
> make install
>
> I now encounter a Makefile error:
>
> radius-int-1-new:~/freeradius-server-release_3_0_0_rc1 # make install
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/local/freeradius/config/raddb/mods-config', needed by
> `/usr/local/freeradius/config/raddb/mods-config/perl'.  Stop.

Right, but this is installation so your targets will be inside the installation directory.

It's missing the target to create the mods-config directory which is usually in raddb/all.mk, which in this case has been removed.

> As you see, I'm not inside /usr/local/freeradius at all ... I'm in
> /root/freeradius-server-release_3_0_0_rc1/.
>
> The raddb folder is empty except the 0-byte all.mk.
>
> Why would it think it needs to do something for
> /usr/local/freeradius/config/raddb/mods-config/perl ?

Because that all.mk file for the rlm_perl module installs example perl scripts in mod-config, the same with rlm_python and rlm_ruby.

> This is an otherwise fresh rc1. The directory above is the place where
> the config resides in; but it should leave that one alone, right?
>
> configure runs with the following options:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freeradius/3.0.0-tagged-rc1 \
>            --with-raddbdir=/usr/local/freeradius/config/raddb \
>            --with-openssl \
>
> --with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/freeradius/openssl-1.0.1c/include \
>
> --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/local/freeradius/openssl-1.0.1c/lib
>
> (and that's the reason it knows about /usr/local/freeradius/config/raddb
> at all)
>
> I believe that way to make "make install" ignore raddb used to work with
> rc0 and numerous GIT snapshots.

I guess we'll have to come up with a proper fix.

FreeRADIUS Development Team