thread pool and requests queueing

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 11 15:01:24 CEST 2014

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Hmm, yes, now I see it. I've added logging of thread_pool.num_queued value
> (btw, this is very important to be able to see as in the logs as it changes)
> and now I see that 256 threads just not enough for this configuration and load
> as thread_pool.num_queued spikes upto about 800.

  Yes.  Having the thread blocked for 2 seconds is destroying the server.

> I'm back to 1000 threads and this keeps thread_pool.num_queued under 2 for now.

  That's good.

> Thank you for explanations and patience.

  It's what I do.  Some people complain I'm mean, but they get out what
they put in.

> I'm afraid that changing freeradius core is out of my skills and limited
> by lack of familiarity with the code.

  Try the v3.0.x branch from github on Monday.  The server already has a
reject delay for Access-Reject packets.  Making it a bit more generic is
fairly trivial.