Preserve ldap attributes after proxy

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Nov 7 19:07:12 CET 2014

Tamás Becz wrote:
> Now with a new solution I also need to query a central ldap database for
> authorization info: I need to get a given attribute off of user records and
> present them to the NAS. I was pointing my finger at Filter-Id, but purely
> because the NAS docs points at it, it could really be anything.

  You probably don't want to use Filter-ID.  It has a pre-defined
meaning.  Using it for another purpose is bad.

> If I omit the proxy part, then it's just a straightforward ldap config with
> adding the attribute as a reply Item mapped to Filter-ID in the ldap.attrmap
> with +=, getting rid of reading the userPassword so that no one tries to
> auth against the password there and enable ldap in the authorize section.

  OK.

> However, when I then proxy the request these extra Filter-Ids are lost: they
> are neither proxied (which is just as well, I really don't know what would
> the homeserver do about it) nor are they sent in my reply. I've found traces
> of something like this being discussed that this is because there is a
> separate data structure, but that is over a decade old, and I'm a bit
> confused on how this supposed to work.

  What you're *not* saying is that you're putting the Filter-ID into the
reply list.  That gets replaced by the reply from the home server.

  If you want the attributes kept... put them in another list.

> Is there a way to keep does attributes (or to get them after proxying,
> either in post-proxy or post-auth maybe?) by using rlm_ldap?

  No.  Put the attributes into the "control" list.  That's what it's
for.  Then, copy them to the reply in post-auth.