What else should radmin do?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Feb 5 12:10:11 CET 2015

> On 5 Feb 2015, at 16:29, Rui Ribeiro <ruyrybeyro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting. You are right, I forgot to add, unlike you, I change the
> radmin group from the default freerad for security reasons, that is
> probably the cause. I do not think it is a good idea to have the control
> socket as freerad, if I am wrong someone please correct me.
>
> As for debian packaging, i am building my debs from the freeradius source,
> indeed. I may be wrong, may I had for a short time radmin working as
> non-root in 2.1.12.

radmin will work as none root.

It's dependent on OS whether socket file permissions are enforced.

If they are (Linux) you need to change the radiusd user/group to one that's permissive enough to allow whichever user you want to use to connect to the socket as, read/write access to the socket file.

After you get over that hurdle, you need to make sure the euid/egid of radmin match whatever you have set for the socket, so peercred authentication succeeds.

I have a pull request open for review:
	https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/pull/892

To use file system permissions to enforce access. This should be significantly more flexible.

-Arran