Why an access-request is sent before password entered?

David Li dlipubkey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 21:14:56 CET 2015

Hi,

I am trying to narrow down a problem. Not sure if this is the right forum
but it's a good starting point.

The problem is that I see access-request sent to the FreeRadius server
before the password is even entered in a SSH session. For example,

ssh user at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ### Problem: Press Enter here and access-request
is sent.

Although once the password is entered, second request is sent and Radius
server has no problem authenticating it.

I don't have a idea right now where to start to look at this time. Is it in
sshd or pam-radius? Is it a configuration issue?

My set up is very standard on a Redhat 5.4 box with sshd and pam and
pam-radius-auth module.

Thanks.

David