Unknown or invalid value "Crypt-Local" for attribute Auth-Type"

Christoph Schwabl christoph.schwabl at gmx.at
Fri Dec 30 09:56:07 CET 2016

   Hello,

   I am currently trying to upgrade from freeradius 1.x (which is running
   for about 10 years) to freeradius 3.0.12.
   The freeradius is used for shell access to Cisco routers.

   I am using MySQL and the tables looks like:

   mysql> select * from radgroupreply;
   +----+-----------+--------------+----+-------------------+
   | id | groupname | attribute    | op | value             |
   +----+-----------+--------------+----+-------------------+
   |  3 | lanmgmt   | Cisco-AVPair | =  | shell:priv-lvl=15 |
   |  4 | lanmgmt   | Service-Type | =  | NAS-Prompt-User   |
   |  5 | readonly  | Cisco-AVPair | =  | shell:priv-lvl=2  |
   |  6 | readonly  | Service-Type | =  | NAS-Prompt-User   |
   +----+-----------+--------------+----+-------------------+
   mysql> select * from radcheck;
   +----+------------------+----------------+----+------------------------
   ----------+
   | id | username         | attribute      | op |
   value                            |
   +----+------------------+----------------+----+------------------------
   ----------+
   |  2 | testusersql      | Crypt-Password | := |
   cc03e747a6afbbcbf8be7668acfebee5 |
   |  3 | testuserdisabled | Crypt-Password | := |
   cc03e747a6afbbcbf8be7668acfebee5 |
   +----+------------------+----------------+----+------------------------
   ----------+
   mysql> select * from radgroupcheck;
   +----+-----------+-----------+----+-------------+
   | id | groupname | attribute | op | value       |
   +----+-----------+-----------+----+-------------+
   | 24 | lanmgmt   | Auth-Type | := | Crypt-Local |
   | 25 | disabled  | Auth-Type | := | Reject      |
   +----+-----------+-----------+----+-------------+
   mysql> select * from radusergroup;
   +------------------+-----------+----------+
   | username         | groupname | priority |
   +------------------+-----------+----------+
   | testusersql      | lanmgmt   |        1 |
   | testuserdisabled | disabled  |        1 |
   +------------------+-----------+----------+

   In the debug it is possible to see the reason. Rejects because of:
   "(0) sql: ERROR: Error parsing value: Unknown or invalid value
   "Crypt-Local" for attribute Auth-Type"

   The corespondig debug (freeradius -X) part:
   (0) sql: SQL-User-Name set to 'testusersql'
   rlm_sql (sql): Reserved connection (1)
   (0) sql: EXPAND SELECT id, username, attribute, value, op FROM radcheck
   WHERE username = '%{SQL-User-Name}' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql:    --> SELECT id, username, attribute, value, op FROM radcheck
   WHERE username = 'testusersql' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql: Executing select query: SELECT id, username, attribute, value,
   op FROM radcheck WHERE username = 'testusersql' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql: User found in radcheck table
   (0) sql: Conditional check items matched, merging assignment check
   items
   (0) sql:   Crypt-Password := "cc03e747a6afbbcbf8be7668acfebee5"
   (0) sql: EXPAND SELECT id, username, attribute, value, op FROM radreply
   WHERE username = '%{SQL-User-Name}' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql:    --> SELECT id, username, attribute, value, op FROM radreply
   WHERE username = 'testusersql' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql: Executing select query: SELECT id, username, attribute, value,
   op FROM radreply WHERE username = 'testusersql' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql: EXPAND SELECT groupname FROM radusergroup WHERE username =
   '%{SQL-User-Name}' ORDER BY priority
   (0) sql:    --> SELECT groupname FROM radusergroup WHERE username =
   'testusersql' ORDER BY priority
   (0) sql: Executing select query: SELECT groupname FROM radusergroup
   WHERE username = 'testusersql' ORDER BY priority
   (0) sql: User found in the group table
   (0) sql: EXPAND SELECT id, groupname, attribute, Value, op FROM
   radgroupcheck WHERE groupname = '%{SQL-Group}' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql:    --> SELECT id, groupname, attribute, Value, op FROM
   radgroupcheck WHERE groupname = 'lanmgmt' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql: Executing select query: SELECT id, groupname, attribute,
   Value, op FROM radgroupcheck WHERE groupname = 'lanmgmt' ORDER BY id
   (0) sql: ERROR: Error parsing value: Unknown or invalid value
   "Crypt-Local" for attribute Auth-Type
   (0) sql: ERROR: Error parsing user data from database result
   (0) sql: ERROR: Error retrieving check pairs for group lanmgmt
   rlm_sql (sql): Released connection (1)
   rlm_sql (sql): Need 4 more connections to reach 10 spares
   rlm_sql (sql): Opening additional connection (6), 1 of 26 pending slots
   used
   rlm_sql_mysql: Starting connect to MySQL server
   rlm_sql_mysql: Connected to database 'radius' on Localhost via UNIX
   socket, server version 5.5.53-0+deb8u1, protocol version 10
   (0)     [sql] = fail
   (0)   } # authorize = fail
   (0) Using Post-Auth-Type Reject
   (0) # Executing group from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
   (0)   Post-Auth-Type REJECT {
   (0) sql: EXPAND .query
   (0) sql:    --> .query
   (0) sql: Using query template 'query'
   rlm_sql (sql): Reserved connection (2)
   (0) sql: EXPAND %{User-Name}
   (0) sql:    --> testusersql
   (0) sql: SQL-User-Name set to 'testusersql'
   (0) sql: EXPAND INSERT INTO radpostauth (username, pass, reply,
   authdate) VALUES ( '%{SQL-User-Name}',
   '%{%{User-Password}:-%{Chap-Password}}', '%{reply:Packet-Type}', '%S')
   (0) sql:    --> INSERT INTO radpostauth (username, pass, reply,
   authdate) VALUES ( 'testusersql', 'test123', 'Access-Reject',
   '2016-12-30 09:43:02')
   (0) sql: Executing query: INSERT INTO radpostauth (username, pass,
   reply, authdate) VALUES ( 'testusersql', 'test123', 'Access-Reject',
   '2016-12-30 09:43:02')
   (0) sql: SQL query returned: success
   (0) sql: 1 record(s) updated
   rlm_sql (sql): Released connection (2)

   I know there is something wrong with the Auth-Type, but I am not aware
   how to solve it,
   even it is working under v1.x fine and also check already the
   documentation (e.g. http://wiki.freeradius.org/config/Auth%20Type).
   Is there some file where I need to specify Crypt-Local as Auth-Type?

   Thx
   br
   Christoph