Adding CUI support while NAS is not supporting it

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Jun 4 13:04:40 CEST 2016

On Jun 3, 2016, at 10:20 PM, Anuruddha Premalal <anuruddhapremalal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a setup as shown in the below figure (CUIissue.jpg)

  The mailing list strips HTML attachments.
>> At step 3. the proxy AAA add the CUI to the radius access packet.and step 4
> forward it unmodified to the NAS.
>
> NAS is supposed to send the CUI with the radius accounting requests,
> however the NAS is not supporting that and dropping the cui value.

  The NAS has to support the CUI for it to be sent in accounting packets.

> I read about the cui support in freeradius however it seems to be used in
> generating  a new one and adding to the packet. In this case I need to add
> the CUI receiving from the proxy AAA to the accounting packets coming from
> the NAS.

  Store the CUI in a database,

> I could record the received CUI at step 3 and add that value to the
> accounting packet at pre-proxy stage 5>6, however the challenge is to find
> a correlation between the packets.

  See the default accounting queries.  Look at the User-Name, NAS-Port, NAS-IP-Address, etc.

  The simple answer is to (as always) read the debug output.  Look at the Access-Request and Accounting-Request packets.  See which attributes are the same.  The information you need *is* available to you.  You just need to read it.