max_requests variable in radiusd.conf

Claudio Carvalho claudio at nextdigitalservices.com.br
Thu Nov 9 14:59:32 CET 2017

Hi Alan,

Using the phrase "The maximum number of requests which the server keeps track of", my first understanding is that somehow the freeradius daemon is doing let's say in memory a control of the opening and closing of sessions "track of", you are saying this does not happen, everything is done through the information of the database enabling the use of multiple servers, right?

"The maximum number of requests which the server keeps track of. This should be 256 multiplied by the number of clients. e.g. With 4 clients, this number should be 1024"

Thanks,

Claudio.

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:07am, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com <mailto:aland at deployingradius.com> > wrote:

On Nov 9, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Claudio Carvalho <claudio at nextdigitalservices.com.br> wrote:

> I'm a new in freeradius and i have a question, what controls are made by the variable max_requests in radiusd.conf?

  The comments in the radiusd.conf file document what out controls: the number of packets *currently being processed* by the server.

> all the established sessions of the various NASs are directly managed by the freeradius daemon or does this control reside in the database?

  It's all in a DB.

> I ask because if the session control is made entirely in the daemon without intervention of the database and it is necessary to work with load balance, the connections that arrive in this 2 freeradius servers must be tied "sticky" to the source IP, if you balance all connections without "sticky" feature this control would be broken , i'm correct?

  No.  If accounting packets go to two destinations (RADIUS servers or DBs), then those records have to be reconciled.  That's it.

  Alan DeKok.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html