Crashes FreeRadius 3.0.11 using rlm_rest/libcurl + rlm_cache_rbtree

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Fri Sep 1 10:43:35 CEST 2017

Hello,

Thanks for all your suggestions on this.

I'm working with Bija.

We've finally found out what was going on. The issue is an overflow of allocated memory in rlm_rest module, triggering a server abort later on.
See the issue I've opened on GitHub for the details (and a proposed fix):

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/issues/2051

We had a CRC mismatch issue with our debuginfo packages, which is why gdb refused to use them.
This is weird as these are the official debuginfo, matching the exact version of the libraries.
Anyhow, we fixed this using objcopy, as follows (example for libpthread):

# backup the library - it will be modified
cp /lib64/libpthread-2.12.so /lib64/libpthread-2.12.so.ORIG
# then modify library: remove .gnu_debuglink and add it again (with correct CRC)
objcopy -R .gnu_debuglink --add-gnu-debuglink="/usr/lib/debug/lib64/libpthread-2.12.so.debug" /lib64/libpthread-2.12.so

Regards,
Nicolas.