Update User-Name

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Sep 9 21:44:06 CEST 2017

On Sep 9, 2017, at 2:20 PM, Dale Lloyd <dale.lloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies, I followed the example in the FreeRADIUS Technical Guide
> and typed "yum install freeradius" and this is the version it
> installed. I will go back and install 3.0.15 manually.

  OS distributions tend to be years out of date.

>> No... read the debug output.  The error is something else.
>
> When testing and specifying the full username on the client e.g.
> 'user at uni.ac.uk', everything works. Specifying just the short username
> on the client 'user' fails. Using a packet capture, I see that the
> request does not get forwarded as hoped.

  You can configure the packet to get forwarded.  My message suggested out to do that.

> I read the output of radiusd
> -X and noticed the EAP error, but I don't know whether it is possible
> to overcome it?

  Configure the server to forward those requests *without* editing them.

>> If they're your users, then you should authenticate them.  You don't need to edit the User-Name.  You don't need to proxy.
>> Describe the problem you're trying to solve.
>
> We are a small entity next to a big university. The neighbouring
> university allows its users to connect to eduroam locally without
> specifying the realm in the username, but this can lead to problems
> because their users are often not aware that they need to use the full
> username if they wish to roam.

  That's common, but stupid.  They MUST require full user + domain if the users connect to the Eduroam SSID.  Otherwise the users will *never* be able to use Eduroam in other universities.

  Hint: It's better to fix a problem than to add work-arounds...

> We get many visitors from the university and their perception is that
> our wireless is broken. I want to make it easier for those visitors to
> connect to eduroam, because I can't explain to all visitors that they
> should user their full username. I need to proxy and I think that need
> to add the realm to the username, otherwise the eduroam NRPS won't
> know what to do with the request.

  So.. add the configuration I suggested.  It should work.