Errors in configuring sqlcounter with FreeRADIUS

Rohith Asrk rohith.asrk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:34:27 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm working on the django-freeradius
<https://github.com/openwisp/django-freeradius/> project and trying to
enforce session limits on users using the web interface. To accomplish that
I'm using the rlm_sqlcounter module of FreeRADIUS.

When trying to configure sqlcounter module with FreeRADIUS I'm facing the
errors as below.

including configuration file /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/detail.log
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/ntlm_auth
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/attr_filter
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/detail
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/expiration
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/sqlcounter
/etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/sqlcounter[43]: Reference
"${modules.sql.dialect}" not found
/etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/sqlcounter[52]: Reference
"${modconfdir}/sql/counter/${dialect}/${.:instance}.conf" points to a
variable which has not been expanded.
Errors reading or parsing /etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf

I think FreeRADIUS is trying to load the sqlcounter module before sql
module and therefore this errors. I've tried using the instantiate section
as well but couldn't configure it properly.

I've tried checking out the previous threads and with people having the
same issues too but couldn't help myself. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rohith ASRK