best practice for user permissions

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jun 27 16:35:32 CEST 2018

On Jun 27, 2018, at 5:28 AM, Samuel LEFOL <samuel.lefol at univ-lorraine.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using freeradius 3.0.12 with rlm_ldap authentication.
> I configured it as suggested in README:

  Which README?  We haven't recommended doing this for a long time.

>  authorize {
>    ldap
>    if ((ok || updated) && User-Password) {
>      update control {
>        Auth-Type := ldap

  Don't do that.  It's generally unnecessary, and will cause many authentication types to fail.

> I wonder what is the best practice for user permissions.
>
> 1. in users file :
> DEFAULT Auth-Type := ldap, LDAP-Group == "reseau"
>        cisco-avpair :="shell:priv-lvl=15"
> DEFAULT Auth-Type := Reject

  You don't need to set Auth-Type LDAP

  You usually don't need to  set Auth-Type Reject.  Any users who aren't known will automatically be rejected.

> OR
>
> 2. in post-auth section
> if (LDAP-Group == "reseau") {
>  update reply {
>    cisco-avpair :="shell:priv-lvl=15"
>  }
> }
> else {
>  reject
> }

  That works.  And rejects anyone who isn't in the "reseau" group.

> Could someone give me an explanation of the best way to go ?

  Avoid the "users" file for anything other than trivial policies.