FreeRADIUS 3 and ldap

Victor Cenac victor at fuller.edu
Mon Nov 26 20:38:08 CET 2018

Bellow is my previous interaction:

The info graciously provided by Alan seem to not match my version... or I
need more hand holding. My installation is on ubuntu server 18.04 and I
installed freeradius with apt-get. So I have version 3.0.16+dfsg-1ubuntu3.
Following some other instructions I also installed freeradius-ldap.
My installation is here:
/etc/freeradius/3.0
so no radb folder, but that's not a big deal, as I assume on other OS the
install is in /etc/radb/

In my version the ldap module is enabled according to these instructions in
mods-available/README.rst:

"Modules are enabled by creating a file in the mods-enabled/ directory.
You can also create a soft-link from one directory to another::

  $ cd raddb/mods-enabled
  $ ln -s ../mods-available/foo

Simplification
--------------

Allowing conditional modules simplifies the default virtual servers
that are shipped with FreeRADIUS.  This means that if you want to
enable LDAP (for example), you no longer need to edit the files in
raddb/sites-available/ in order to enable it.

Instead, you should edit the raddb/mods-available/ldap file to point
to your local LDAP server.  Then, enable the module via the soft-link
method described above.

Once the module is enabled, it will automatically be used in the
default configuration."

Which I did. According to this explanation, that's all I had to do to make
the FreeRADIUS use the ldap.
Now, to do the matching between the ldap attributes (group membership) and
the vlan communicated by the radius server to the switch... I found this in
the ldap file (in mods-available):
"
        #  Mapping of LDAP directory attributes to RADIUS dictionary
attributes.
        #

        #  WARNING: Although this format is almost identical to the unlang
        #  update section format, it does *NOT* mean that you can use other
        #  unlang constructs in module configuration files.
        #
        #  Configuration items are in the format:
        #
        #  Where:
        #       <radius attr>:  Is the destination RADIUS attribute
        #                       with any valid list and request qualifiers.
        #       <op>:           Is any assignment attribute (=, :=, +=, -=).
        #       <ldap attr>:    Is the attribute associated with user or
        #                       profile objects in the LDAP directory.
        #                       If the attribute name is wrapped in double
        #                       quotes it will be xlat expanded.
        #
        #  Request and list qualifiers may also be placed after the 'update'
        #  section name to set defaults destination requests/lists
        #  for unqualified RADIUS attributes.
        #
        #  Note: LDAP attribute names should be single quoted unless you
want
        #  the name value to be derived from an xlat expansion, or an
        #  attribute ref.
        update {
                control:Password-With-Header    += 'userPassword'
#               control:NT-Password             := 'ntPassword'
#               reply:Reply-Message             := 'radiusReplyMessage'
#               reply:Tunnel-Type               := 'radiusTunnelType'
#               reply:Tunnel-Medium-Type        := 'radiusTunnelMediumType'
#               reply:Tunnel-Private-Group-ID   :=
'radiusTunnelPrivategroupId'

                #  Where only a list is specified as the RADIUS attribute,
                #  the value of the LDAP attribute is parsed as a valuepair
                #  in the same format as the 'valuepair_attribute' (above).
                control:                        += 'radiusControlAttribute'
                request:                        += 'radiusRequestAttribute'
                reply:                          += 'radiusReplyAttribute'
        }
"
Is this the right place? Which lines do I repeat for multiple group-->vlan
translation?
For example:
ldap group Staff = vlan 1
ldap group Student = vlan 2