FreeRADIUS 3 and ldap

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Nov 26 23:00:05 CET 2018

On Nov 26, 2018, at 2:38 PM, Victor Cenac <victor at fuller.edu> wrote:

> The info graciously provided by Alan seem to not match my version... or I
> need more hand holding. My installation is on ubuntu server 18.04 and I
> installed freeradius with apt-get. So I have version 3.0.16+dfsg-1ubuntu3.
> Following some other instructions I also installed freeradius-ldap.
> My installation is here:
> /etc/freeradius/3.0
> so no radb folder, but that's not a big deal, as I assume on other OS the
> install is in /etc/radb/

 The default is /etc/raddb.  Different operating systems change our packaging, and put the files into different places.

  I don't know which version you have, so I just use *our* defaults, and hope that people can figure it out.

> In my version the ldap module is enabled according to these instructions in
> mods-available/README.rst:

 Please don't post documentation to the list.  We already know it.

> Which I did. According to this explanation, that's all I had to do to make
> the FreeRADIUS use the ldap.

 You also need to configure the LDAP module itself.  i.e. point to the correct LDAP server, admin account, etc.

> Now, to do the matching between the ldap attributes (group membership) and
> the vlan communicated by the radius server to the switch... I found this in
> the ldap file (in mods-available):

 Again, there's no need to post this to the list.  We're is already familiar with that file.

> Is this the right place? Which lines do I repeat for multiple group-->vlan
> translation?
> For example:
> ldap group Staff = vlan 1
> ldap group Student = vlan 2

 No.  What you do is READ MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE.  If you're not sure what it means, ASK.

 What I said was to do this:

      if (LDAP-Group == "staff") {
              update reply {
                      Tunnel Type = VLAN
                      Tunnel-Medium-Type := IEEE-802
                      Tunnel-Private-Group-Id := 10

 This configuration goes into a virtual server, along with all of the other "if" and "update" blocks.  As per the "man unlang" documentation, and as per the dozens of other examples.