Runtime Memory Optimization - freeradius2 for OpenWRT

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 20 13:35:03 CEST 2019

On Aug 20, 2019, at 6:08 AM, Lalit Kumar Mishra <lalitmishra87 at gmail.com> wrote:
>                I recently compiled freeradius2 for OpenWrt attitude
> adjustment, did selective compilation of freeradius2 only with EAP-TLS
> module since I want to use only this module.

  You can do "make" to build everything, and then only install the modules that you need.

  What else do you mean by "selective compilation"?

>                I am facing two issues, Can someone help me over this.
>
>                1. Freeradius2 is taking 3.7 MB RAM runtime memory on
> OpenWRT board, Can we further optimize/ reduce runtime memory requirement
> on OpenWRT.

  The dictionaries may be using memory.  You can update the configuration to load only the dictionaries that you need.  That may help.

  Otherwise, you selectively remove features by editing src/include/radiusd.h.  Comment out the features you don't need, and re-build.  e.g. WITH_ACCOUNTING, WITH_COA, etc.

>                2. Freeradius2 is not starting without debug mode.

  What does that mean?  The server *does* produce errors if something goes wrong.

  Also, the default build works.  So what did you change?