Home server failure messages

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Nov 24 14:43:17 CET 2019

On Nov 22, 2019, at 3:35 PM, FRANKS, Andy (SHREWSBURY AND TELFORD HOSPITAL NHS TRUST) via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
>  Hopefully I've understood - I did try the status_check = "status-server" option in the tls (radsec) virtual server, but it seems it is not permitted:
>
> Only 'status_check = none' is allowed for home servers with 'proto = tcp'

  TCP connections guarantee delivery.  So there's no reason to have a Status-Server check in them.

> Radsecproxy, which I toyed about with for a while, seemed to allow status checks and when used in between freeradius servers (iirc) did respond to the request with no issues via radsec..
> Maybe there's something I'm missing, wouldn't be the first time :-)

  FreeRADIUS responds to Status-Server packets over TCP.  But there's no reason to send Status-Server packets over TCP.

  If the connection is down, then the server gets notified.  If the connection is up, then sending a Status-Server packet over it won't give you any information.