proxy.conf (from v2 to v3) - edoroam - NRO - configurations - requested - regarding

Patrick Oberli patrick.oberli at ost.ch
Mon Jun 21 14:02:33 CEST 2021

Here you find the manual: https://wiki.geant.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=121346259

This is how I configured it:
/etc/freeradius/3.0# cat sites-enabled/eduroam
server eduroam {

        listen {
                type = "auth"
                ipaddr = *
                port = 0
        }
        listen {
                type = "acct"
                ipaddr = *
                port = 0
        }
        listen {
                type = "auth"
                ipv6addr = ::
                port = 0
        }
        listen {
                type = "acct"
                ipv6addr = ::
                port = 0
        }

        authorize {
                # only use filter_username from version > 3.0.7 on
                filter_username
                update request {
                        Operator-Name := "1domain.tld"
                        # the literal number "1" above is an important prefix! Do not change it!
                }
                # if you want detailed logging
                auth_log
                suffix
        }

        authenticate {
        }

        preacct {
                suffix
        }

        accounting {
        }

        post-auth {
                # if you want detailed logging uncomment
                #reply_log
                Post-Auth-Type REJECT {
                #        reply_log

        pre-proxy {
                # if you want detailed logging uncomment
                #pre_proxy_log
                if("%{Packet-Type}" != "Accounting-Request") {
                        attr_filter.pre-proxy
                }
                update proxy-request {
                         NAS-Port-Type := 19

        post-proxy {
                # if you want detailed logging uncomment
                #post_proxy_log
                attr_filter.post-proxy

-------------------------------
proxy.conf (servers 1-4 are Windows NPS and don't support status-server, unlike the ftlr ones, check that with your provider)

proxy server {
        default_fallback        = no
}

home_server server1 {
        type                    = auth+acct
        ipaddr                  = x.x.x.x
        port                    = 1812
        secret                  = "password"
        status_check            = none
        response_window         = 20
        zombie_period           = 20
        check_interval          = 6
        revive_interval         = 10
        num_answers_to_alive    = 3
}

home_server server2 {
        type                    = auth+acct
        ipaddr                  = x.x.x.x
        port                    = 1812
        secret                  = "password"
        status_check            = none
        response_window         = 20
        zombie_period           = 20
        check_interval          = 6
        revive_interval         = 10
        num_answers_to_alive    = 3
}

home_server server3 {
        type                    = auth+acct
        ipaddr                  = x.x.x.x
        port                    = 1812
        secret                  = "password"
        status_check            = none
        response_window         = 20
        zombie_period           = 20
        check_interval          = 6
        revive_interval         = 10
        num_answers_to_alive    = 3
}

home_server server4 {
        type                    = auth+acct
        ipaddr                  = x.x.x.x
        port                    = 1812
        secret                  = "password"
        status_check            = none
        response_window         = 20
        zombie_period           = 20
        check_interval          = 6
        revive_interval         = 10
        num_answers_to_alive    = 3
}

home_server eduroam-3 {
        type                    = auth+acct
        ipaddr                  = ftlr1.x.x
        port                    = 1812
        secret                  = password
        status_check            = status-server
        response_window         = 20
        zombie_period           = 20
        check_interval          = 6
        num_answers_to_alive    = 3
}

home_server eduroam-4 {
        type                    = auth+acct
        ipaddr                  = ftlr2.x.x
        port                    = 1812
        secret                  = password
        status_check            = status-server
        response_window         = 20
        zombie_period           = 20
        check_interval          = 6
        num_answers_to_alive    = 3
}

home_server_pool EDUROAM {
        type                    = fail-over
        home_server             = eduroam-3
        home_server             = eduroam-4
}

home_server_pool DOMAIN1 {
        type                    = fail-over
        home_server             = server1
        home_server             = server2
}

home_server_pool DOMAIN2 {
        type                    = fail-over
        home_server             = server3
        home_server             = server4
}

realm NULL {
    virtual_server  = auth-reject
    nostrip
}

realm domain1.tld {
        pool                    = DOMAIN1
        nostrip
}

realm domain2.tld {
        pool                    = DOMAIN2
        nostrip
}

realm "~.+$" {
        pool                    = EDUROAM
        nostrip
}

-----------------------------------

You also need to configure the files pre-proxy, post-proxy and of course clients.conf.

Then I also suggest doing performance optimizations like this (but read the manual, those settings depend on your used server setup):
vi radiusd.conf
max_request_time = 20
 auth = yes
reject_delay = 0