Deprecated features (was: Any objection to deleting support for "clients"?)

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Jul 27 19:03:26 CEST 2005

Nicolas Baradakis <nbk at sitadelle.com> wrote:
> I agree. And I think we could perhaps take a moment to look at other
> deprecated features.
>
> * post_proxy_authorize

  We can delete it.

> * authorize in rlm_attr_filter

  Delete it.  We should also note that the "rlm_protocol_filter"
module does related things.

> * usercollide
>
>   I never used this, but the doc says it doesn't work so well (with a
>   big warning), and there is another way of achieving the same goal.

  It's a hack.  Nuke it.

  Also, the "lower_user" and "nospace_user" directives are atrocious.
They should be deleted, and replaced with something else.

> * bind_address and port
>
>   The "listen" directive can do the same, and it's much more flexible.
>   We might remove the old directives from the documentation.

  Sounds reasonable.

> What do you think? This list has to be completed, of course.

  I think that the CVS head has changed enough from the 1.0.x branch
that we should call it 2.0, and not 1.1.x.  Since it's a 2.0, we
should fix everything we can find.

  e.g. I've hacked up rlm_unix, so "Auth-Type := System" doesn't
exist.

  Also, the modules should have a header ala Apache, which allows us
to do better sanity checking on them.