FreeRADIUS CVS->{BZR,Hg} migration consideration

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Tue Sep 13 20:28:18 CEST 2005

In order to have a look at how something like Bazaar-ng (which seems to have
come out on top after consideration for my significantly smaller projects) or
Mercuirial (which is optimised towards larger projects, and might suit
FreeRADIUS nicely) will handle the importing of current the FreeRADIUS CVS
repository, I propose to run a read-only parallel repository in either or both
of the above on my own server, syncing against the FreeRADIUS CVS server.

I'm planning to use tailor [1] to do the initial conversion and regular pulls.
I'd then offer rsync, http and *web access as appropriate (although I've never
tried it for Mercurial and only just set it up for bazaar-ng) for the curious
to see what sort of difference it makes.

However, the initial pull will produce pain for cvs.freeradius.org I expect, so
I'd like to know if there's a particular time window which would be better for
the cvs.freeradius.org box to be hammered upon by me doing this. (And be sure
the time window is in UTC. I'm in Australia, so I don't want a TZ mistake to
cause me to bring something grinding to a halt in front of someone's CEO. ^_^)

(Alternatively, I could work off a copy of the CVS repository for a given point
in time, but that's more effort for the server admins, and so I consider it
optional. tailor can use pserver from the look of things.)

I'm also open to other suggestions of versioning software to use, although I'm
really only familiar with CVS in usage, and have been reading about git and bzr
recently.

One of (in fact, the main) reason I'm doing this is that it makes branches
cheaper, so I can branch off my own Debian packaging work, and only push it up
when I make a fix that belongs in the FreeRADIUS repository as well as in the
Debian archive. I'm not really satisfied with the way I handled this between
1.0.4 and 1.0.5, although dpatch improved it immensely over 1.0.3 and earlier.
^_^

[1] http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/