SQL Cleanups (Was: Duplicate requests in a session)

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Thu Aug 31 15:25:55 CEST 2006

On Thu 31 Aug 2006 14:33, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Peter Nixon <listuser at peternixon.net> wrote:
> > This makes sense to me. I think it should be for 2.0 though as changing
> > the name of fields in a DB schema will break compatibility.
>
>   I'm not set on changing the name.  If it's a problem, we can leave
> it as-is.

Nope. No problem. Renaming a database field is trivial to do, but something
that MUST be included in upgrade notes etc. I think we should take the chance
to get rid of as many of the small confusing things for 2.0 as possible as we
will not have another .0 release for quite a while :-)

> > One of my pet peeves is that the mysql config file is called "sql.conf"
> > which tends to confuse non-mysql users the first time around. This should
> > be renamed to mysql.conf (oraclesql.conf should be renamed to oracle.conf
> > also)
>
>   Let's fix that.
>
> > I think it may even be a good idea to make a raddb/sql/*.conf
> > structure,= either that or maybe we should name the files
> > sql.mysql.conf, sql.postgresl.conf etc. This then allows
> > sqlippool.mysql.conf also.  (Alternatively the sqlipool config
> > should go inside the existing sql config files.)
>
>   Sure.  We can also split the sql.conf file into:
>
>   sql.conf - global SQL things to the site, which does
>      driver = postgresql
>      trace files...
>      $INCLUDE sql/postgresql.conf
>
>   for any postgres-specific things.
>
>   We can nuke the "rlm_sql" prefix from the "driver" config item, and
> update the code to accept one or the other.

Thats an even better idea. I shall do it this evening.

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/