Freeradius-Devel Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4

Abdul Qadir ablqadir at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 03:51:31 CET 2006

Hi,

>The server caches requests and responses for a time, so if you kill
> the server immediately after a response is sent, there may be many
> requests and responses still in memory.

This thing is very nice that server is doing caching. And I think there should be some limit on caching memory or its unlimited. I don't know exactly what it is.  But i think its still server's responsibilty to release all memory even the cache memroy at time of exit.

>i.e. memory *lost* while it is running is bad.  Slow memory growth
> over time is bad.  The problems you're seeing are likely unimportant.

The problem we are seeing is that the memory keeps on growing and growing, therefore we wrote some cron job which kills the server and restart it. But its not the right solution for a production system.

>If you leave the server running, does it's total memory use grow over
> time?  If not, there's probably no memory leak.

Yes the memory keeps on growing, otherwise why I would be looking into Valgrind logs and trying to find out whats wrong with the server. And this leak becomes very clear when the number of requests become greater. I thought it would some minor issue which can be fixed quickly, but it seems like some thing else, which need assistance from your side.

Best Regards,
Abdul Qadir

Message: 6
> Actually the problem is why this keeps on grwoing. If i start the
> process and exit it the statistics are different If i send some
> authentication request, the memory which is not freed by the process at
> exit keeps on growing. Is there any solution for this.  Please see the
> difference below.

  The server caches requests and responses for a time, so if you kill
the server immediately after a response is sent, there may be many
requests and responses still in memory.

  i.e. memory *lost* while it is running is bad.  Slow memory growth
over time is bad.  The problems you're seeing are likely unimportant.

  If you leave the server running, does it's total memory use grow over
time?  If not, there's probably no memory leak.

End of Freeradius-Devel Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4