Error: FATAL Failed to initialize semaphore: Function not implemented

Steven Simon simon.s at apple.com
Fri Aug 3 16:19:38 CEST 2007

There aren't any Apple changes to threading. I just tried running
radiusd in daemon mode with the Apple version and got the same error.

When we run radiusd, it's through launchd, which serves the same
purpose as xinetd on other platforms to keep the process running.

We run the process with args "-sf" to stop daemonization and run as a
child of launchd.

To run radiusd this way, create a file named "/System/Library/
LaunchDaemons/org.freeradius.radiusd.plist" with the contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
         <key>Disabled</key>
         <false/>
         <key>Label</key>
         <string>org.freeradius.radiusd</string>
         <key>OnDemand</key>
         <false/>
         <key>Program</key>
         <string>/usr/sbin/radiusd</string>
         <key>ProgramArguments</key>
         <array>
                 <string>/usr/sbin/radiusd</string>
                 <string>-sf</string>
         </array>
         <key>ServiceIPC</key>
         <false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Run "launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.freeradius.radiusd.plist" to start radiusd.

- Steve