Deleting reply items before post-proxy

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 18:39:12 CEST 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Eddie Stassen wrote:
>
>> I was trying to get rid of my 'post-proxy-authorize' dependency and
>> found that any attributes added during the authorize stage are removed
>> when the proxy reply  is received.  Surely this is not intended
>> behaviour
>>

>   Yes.  The problem is that the "authorize" stage is usually done wrong,
> for reasons that go back to the original implementation.
>
>   The authorize section often updates the *reply*, which is just plain
> backwards.  Instead, the authorize section should set the stage for the
> authentication stage, i.e. known passwords, group checking, etc.  Once
> the user is authenticated, the post-authenticate section should set the
> reply.

But currently it doesn't... as discussed before on the list, the
post-auth methods in most of the modules lean towards logging and not
reply attribute generation.
You cannot currently generate reply attributes from SQL easily in the
post-authenticate section.

I can see being able to pass reply attributes through from the authorise
section as a very useful thing; Being able to store rules in an SQL
database and grouping reply attributes by realm, then applying them in
the authorise section. Instead of relying on the weird legacy behaviour
of passing the proxied request through the authorise section twice ...

Even if it's not default behaviour, count it be introduced as
configurable behaviour?

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk)
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer