HUP handling: a thought

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed May 2 16:00:06 CEST 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:

>   Let's give up on HUP entirely.  Instead, we can implement something like:
>
> http://www.linuxappliancedesign.com/projects/rta/

Thanks for all of the hard work you have been doing, Alan.

The decision is not mine, of course, but here is my vote.

-1

Proper support for HUP is in my view an elemental requirement of any
properly functioning UNIX daemon.

If you feel its to complex to do it safely within the running code, you
can do it like sendmail daemon does, which simply rexecs itself with its
launching arguments. Sendmail doesnt support HUP if it wasnt started
with a full path.