Debian Dependencies - CVS Head

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Sat Sep 1 13:39:51 CEST 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 12:24:04AM -0300, Humberto Diogenes said:
> Hi, guys!
>
>   Yesterday, I tried to compile the latest FreeRadius (cvs head) on
> Sarge and got this:
>
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package is freeradius
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 2.0.0-pre2
> dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Nicolas Baradakis
> <nbk at sitadelle.com>
> dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>= 5) dpkg-
> dev (>= 1.13.25)
> dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
> dpkg-buildpackage: (Use -d flag to override.)
>
>   I should note that 2.0pre0 worked fine, and trying with -d didn't
> work.
>
>   I thought: OK, tomorrow I install on a new machine. Got one with
> Ubuntu Server LTS, and then... got the same error. This time the
> error was only with dpkg-dev (Ubuntu comes with 1.13.11), but anyway,
> does it really need those versions? What do I have to use to compile
> it without errors?

I don't see any big changes in dpkg-dev 1.13.25 aside from support for
lzma archives, which I doubt is needed here.  1.13.19 is a version that
is frequently used as a versioned dependency, since that's when the
${source:Version} and so on variables were introduced.  Debhelper 5
is likely to be necessary for a variety of reasons.  The package will
probably build with those versions relaxed, but it may not generate
dependencies as the packagers expect.
|  Stephen Gran                  | QOTD:  I've heard about civil           |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | Engineers, but I've never met one.      |