Debian Dependencies - CVS Head

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Sun Sep 2 15:35:20 CEST 2007

Humberto Diogenes wrote:

>   I thought: OK, tomorrow I install on a new machine. Got one with
> Ubuntu Server LTS, and then... got the same error. This time the
> error was only with dpkg-dev (Ubuntu comes with 1.13.11), but anyway,
> does it really need those versions? What do I have to use to compile
> it without errors?

I voluntarily put these versions to require "etch". Some new features
were not working with previous (obsolete) releases of Debian. Since
"etch" is the stable release for several months now, it shouldn't be
a problem.

You may manage to make a package with earlier versions of the Debian
utilities but I can't tell the result because they're not the versions
I used when I tested the packaging scripts.

>   It worked fine with dpkg-dev 1.13.11. I then had to edit debian/
> control again to "downgrade" lsb-base, too (as you can see further
> down).
>
>   The only glitch I found was that the /etc/init.d/freeradius script
> didn't work anymore, I had to use the older one (pre1).

The new initscript requires lsb-base 3.1-23.2 to work. Your changes
to debian/control are resulting in a defective package.

The initscript is now using the LSB start_daemon, killproc and log_*
functions instead of calling directly the start-stop-daemon utility.
It depends on a specific version of lsb-base to address a serious
bug in the package: http://bugs.debian.org/434756

>   It's OK for me if you decided to break compatibility with Debian
> Sarge, but I expect FreeRadius 2.0 to be compatible with at least
> Ubuntu Server LTS (Dapper).

Sorry, but it isn't as simple as putting a few numbers after the packages
names in the dependencies. My goal is to provide the best possible package
for the Debian users. I'm not inclined to remove the new features for
Ubuntu's long-term support.

--
Nicolas Baradakis