Cisco WLC does not respect the Expiration of a user on Radius server.

Chris Moules chris at gms.lu
Thu Apr 30 21:59:50 CEST 2009

Matthew Carriere wrote:
> Thanks Chris.
>
> Yes the Session-Timeout is the value that is set and appears to be sent
> to the Cisco WLC.
Try to verify that, set a logging option on the radius to log the
returned data. Enable debug on the cisco and check what it receives or
maybe 'sniff' the packets with wireshark (or similar) to see what is on
the wire.

> The problem is it completely ignores it,
If that is the case it is a cisco question and not a freeradius one.

> if I refresh and try to
> re-authenticate it fails, but I still have access.
Not sure what you mean here. Either your connected or not, no?

> If I log out and then try it fails and I can't access the wireless.
As expected.

> It appears that my problem is terminating the session while it is active.
If you have set a session timeout value then after that amount of time
has passed, the session should no longer be active. If the session is
still active, your Cisco is not honouring the session-timeout and that
is a separate issue (as stated above).

Chris