How to improve Radius Performance

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Dec 24 10:22:42 CET 2009

Hi,

>   I think that for 2.2.0, this performance issue will need to be
> addressed.  We'll need to have some performance measurements inside of
> the FreeRADIUS server itself, so that people can see where all of the
> CPU time is going.  That will let people know what to blame.

aye - in the debug mode we get to see timestamps....so the server could
be configured to keep timers...and then accumulate those for each module
so then you could use eg raddebug or attachment to the radiusd interface
and get a nice simple bar-chart or such of time spent - either rows of
symbols or just pure numbers...eg

authorization (4 seconds)
-sql  (2 seconds)
-unix (1 second)
-eap  (1 second)
authentication (8 seconds)
-sql (6 seconds)
-pap (2 seconds)
accounting (15 seconds)
-sql (12 seconds)
-radutmp (2 seconds)
-buffered_sql (1 second)

where seconds is accumulated time?)

or

authorization 	####
-sql  		##
-unix 		#
-eap  		#
authentication 	########
-sql 		######
-pap 		##
-radutmp 	####
-buffered_sql	##

? alternatively, these values can be accessed much like the stats - in terms of average
usec perhaps - and then we can get graphs shown in our munin (or SNMP) - thus allowing
those with less technical bent to be aware of eg an incrementing value or big spike
when some part of the system was changed?

alan