How to improve Radius Performance

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Dec 24 11:18:41 CET 2009

Alan Buxey wrote:
> aye - in the debug mode we get to see timestamps....so the server could
> be configured to keep timers...and then accumulate those for each module
> so then you could use eg raddebug or attachment to the radiusd interface
> and get a nice simple bar-chart or such of time spent - either rows of
> symbols or just pure numbers...eg
>
> authorization (4 seconds)
> -sql  (2 seconds)

  I was thinking of allowing this only in single-threaded mode, which
makes tracking the stats a lot easier.  It could be possible in
multi-threaded mode, but it would be more work.

  It would also likely require a special build of the server, but that
may be OK for people with esoteric performance issues.

> ? alternatively, these values can be accessed much like the stats - in terms of average
> usec perhaps - and then we can get graphs shown in our munin (or SNMP) - thus allowing
> those with less technical bent to be aware of eg an incrementing value or big spike
> when some part of the system was changed?

  Keeping those stats *all* of the time might be expensive.  But yes,
they would be interesting.