detail logging not logging?

Brad Clemmons Jr brad.clemmons at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:00:50 CET 2009

Hacking to oblivion...that's an interesting way of putting it.

The only things I changed:
Changed the directory locations such as prefix and instance_prefix to my
locations,
Changed user and pass,
Changed Listening port,
Changed type from authentication to accounting only
*Added the detail section at the bottom and configure the directory
locations etc...
Oh and I turned off proxying, virtualhosting, and added the detail {}
section AFTER I had already realized the detail logging didn't seem to be
logging anywhere although I could confirm that it was taking the accounting
packets since I could see the errors in the radius.log if I set the secret
incorrectly.  But those 1 or 2 errors were the only logging I could get.

The only hacking out of anything I did was to remove the commented sections
when I copy/pasted into this email just to keep the email from growing
insanely long.

Also this is version 2.1.3(since I managed to forget to add that info
originally.  But I will do as you suggested anyway.

Here's a diff of my edited radiusd.conf and the original
radiusd.conf(COMPLETELY UNMODIFIED -
/opt/freeradius/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf):
bash-3.00# diff radiusd.conf /opt/freeradius/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
54c54
< prefix = /opt/freeradius
---
> prefix = /opt/freeradius-2.1.3
56,58c56,57
< instance_prefix = /opt/voip/freeradius
< sysconfdir = ${instance_prefix}/etc
< localstatedir = ${instance_prefix}/var
---
> sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
> localstatedir = ${prefix}/var
60,62c59,61
< logdir = ${instance_prefix}/logs
< raddbdir = ${instance_prefix}/etc
< radacctdir = ${instance_prefix}/var/radacct
---
> logdir = ${localstatedir}/log/radius
> raddbdir = ${sysconfdir}/raddb
> radacctdir = ${logdir}/radacct
70c69
< run_dir = ${localstatedir}/run
---
> run_dir = ${localstatedir}/run/radiusd
168,169c167,168
< user = *******
< group = *******
---
> #user = radius
> #group = radius
252c251
<       type = acct
---
>       type = auth
277c276
<       port = 1813
---
>       port = 0
309,310c308,309
< #listen {
< #     ipaddr = *
---
> listen {
>       ipaddr = *
312,313c311,312
< #     port = 0
< #     type = acct
---
>       port = 0
>       type = acct
316c315
< #}
---
> }
526,527c525,526
< proxy_requests  = no
< #$INCLUDE proxy.conf
---
> proxy_requests  = yes
> $INCLUDE proxy.conf
780,816c779
< #$INCLUDE sites-enabled/
<
< detail {
<                 #  Note that we do NOT use NAS-IP-Address here, as
<                 #  that attribute MAY BE from the originating NAS, and
<                 #  NOT from the proxy which actually sent us the
<                 #  request.  The Client-IP-Address attribute is ALWAYS
<                 #  the address of the client which sent us the
<                 #  request.
<                 #
<                 #  The following line creates a new detail file for
<                 #  every radius client (by IP address or hostname).
<                 #  In addition, a new detail file is created every
<                 #  day, so that the detail file doesn't have to go
<                 #  through a 'log rotation'
<                 #
<                 #  If your detail files are large, you may also want
<                 #  to add a ':%H' (see doc/variables.txt) to the end
<                 #  of it, to create a new detail file every hour, e.g.:
<                 #
<                 #   ..../detail-%Y%m%d:%H
<                 #
<                 #  This will create a new detail file for every hour.
<                 #
<                 detailfile =
${radacctdir}/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d
<                 #detailfile =
${radacctdir}/%{NAS-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d
<                 #detailfile = ${radacctdir}/detail.log
<
<                 #  The Unix-style permissions on the 'detail' file.
<                 #  The detail file often contains secret or private
<                 #  information about users.  So by keeping the file
<                 #  permissions restrictive, we can prevent unwanted
<                 #  people from seeing that information.
<                 detailperm = 0600
---