EAP proxing with client-balance

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 22:54:57 CET 2009

Hi,

sorry for revisiting this but I was checking the status of
this proxy issue so that we can hopefully send out an advisory
to eduroam sites about it when 2.1.8 is released - hoping that
this issue is fixed in 2.1.8

to recap, EAP proxying was failing when using load balancing
methods instead of fail-over and the path was

FreeRADIUS <-> Proxy <-> FreeRADIUS

the thread included a basic little patch by Alexander Clouter,
Alan DeKok responded with:

>   Nope.  The solution is to fix the EAP module.  Edit
> src/modules/rlm_eap.c, function eap_handler_cmp().  Delete the
> comparison that checks src_ipaddr.
>
>   The code already creates a unique State attribute for each EAP
> session.  So it really doesn't need to check anything else.
>
>   If that solves the problem, we can put the fix into 2.1.8.

and then there was a followed from Alexander saying 'I see you
beat me to this Alan [DeKok], its been a busy week' (or somesuch)..so
is a FR 2.1.8 now able to load balance proxied EAP to remote servers?

many thanks

alan