Status-Server support for RADIUS client

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 14 13:09:31 CEST 2010

Lewis Adam-VNQM87 wrote:
>  I'm in the process of developing an embedded client based on the 1.1.6
> client code. We have a requirement for issuing a Status-Server request
> and I can see, as it stands, the code doesn't work. The freeRADIUS
> server I am working with expects a PW_MESSAGE_AUTHENTICATOR attribute.
> The function rc_check() in lib\buildreq.c currently does not add the
> PW_MESSAGE_AUTHENTICATOR attribute.

  Yes.  That needs to be added.

> So, my questions are:
> 1. If the Status-Server request is experimental, is it known whether
> (many) other commercial RADIUS server products are supporting it?

  Yes.  Others support it.  There should be an RFC published this year
describing it.

> 2. Are there requirements and if so guidelines for creating meaningful
> authenticator values rather than all zeroes as above?

  RFC 3579 Section 3.2.  See also src/lib/radius.c, which calculates the
correct value, and validates it on reception.

> 3. Are there any plans to update the client code with support for the
> PW_MESSAGE_AUTHENTICATOR attribute?

  Not at this time.  However, patches are welcome.  It should be less
than 100 lines of code.