dialup_admin php3 vs. php

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Jan 13 11:12:23 CET 2011

  Hi,

>> Cool. Related: isn't it about time to change the file extension from
>> php3 to php? I think I recall that a long time ago, there was a
>> perceived need for this, but that should be largely historic. This is
>> all valid php 5.x code, after all.
>>
>> I would create a patch, but the filename changes will make it look ugly.
> The only reason it didn't happen was because the revision history
> would be lost.

Doesn't GIT have magic for that? Googling suggests that it has a "rename
detection" and will keep history if you do a "git mv". I'm not into GIT
at all though, so treat this just as an uneducated comment by an
outsider :-)

In any case, if we keep sticking to php3 people might run away from it,
thinking "Yuck! What an old code!" (well, this is somewhat true
regardless of the file extension, admitted ;-) ) or have to change their
Web server config to treat php3 as PHP code. That's what I had to do; a
superfluous step of fiddling where none should be needed.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER