Patch to fix PPTP CHAP failure due to unknown-attribute problem

freeradius developer/user identity freeradius at cecst.com
Wed Jul 6 14:39:01 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 12:00:13PM +0200,
freeradius-devel at lists.freeradius.org wrote:
> Oh I see. Sorry, I wasn't even aware of that, and I've no idea if it's even
> supported any more.
>
> I notice that the 'snapshots' link on that page points to an ftp server in
> Turkey which doesn't have any content:
> All freeradius (server) development has moved to git - it's currently at
> version 2.1.11.

Sounds like a maintainer is needed under the auspices of the freeradius
project: (from http://wiki.freeradius.org/Radiusclient)
 "Development of the radiusclient-ng and FreeRADIUS client were
proceeding in parallel during 2006-2007,... until in early 2008 it has
been decided to merge both projects ... and discontinue radiusclient-ng
project.... All developers from the radiusclient-ng project joined
FreeRADIUS team and few remaining fixes from the radiusclient-ng have
been merged into FreeRADIUS client package. Development of the codebase
is ongoing."

The current latest version is on cvs.freeradius.org according to the
page cited above. I was able to download a copy from there that was a
tad more recent than the stable 1.1.6 version. Meanwhile, a search of
github.com shows one project with "radius" and "client" in the name that
is not related to Ruby or perl. It is "elagin / RadiusClient", and has
just a few files. Interestingly, it was committed recently (2/18/2011).
The size is 250K but most of the files are private and cannot be
downloaded. The main.cpp file refers to radiusclient library functions
but itself is not radiusclient. So, I'm not sure what this is but it
does not appear to be the main site for radiusclient.

So, it looks like radiusclient is currently not well supported within the
freeradius project, and the name "radiusclient" is taken on github.com.

If a maintainer is needed, I am willing to volunteer at least for now.
Since the name "radiusclient" on github is taken, would it make sense to
include radiusclient in the freeradius server source tree?  That would
be handy for those who want both, and it's not very large so people who
don't want it wouldn't be bothered much. It could even be configured not
to compile by default.  Once the housekeeping (file transfer to github,
updating the make files) is done, the first thing I would do is merge the
dictionaries with the ones that come with the server!  If there is a
(dormant) maintainer already, I will be happy to work with him/her to
do what is needed.  Thanks - Larry Widman