master build failure

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 20 17:43:21 CET 2013

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Well, based on the discrepancy between the source file and gdb line
> counts, I wonder if it's a gcc-ism - maybe inline behaviour or
> something? - that's also screwing things up.

  Maybe.  If it's a compiler issue, I'll be annoyed.

> Also: is the intent of the various "const" in conffile.c to avoid
> mutating the CONF_PARSER objects? Because if so, I think they're the
> wrong way round - shouldn't they be:
>
> CONF_PARSER const* x
>
> ...rather than
>
> const CONF_PARSER *x

  For "normal" types, const order doesn't matter.  "const int foo" is
the same as "int const foo".

  I put const to the left, to highlight the fact that the variable
declarations are parsed right to left:

  X is a pointer to a CONF_PARSER which is const

which is the same as:

  X is a pointer to a const CONF_PARSER

which is not the same as

  CONF_PARSER * const x

  X is a const pointer to a CONF_PARSER

  i.e. you can't change X, but you can change what it points t.=o.