The build is now clean

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 24 14:32:48 CEST 2013

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> well, theres a difference between a tool compiling cleanly and it running
> without errors.

  Sure, but:

- the build is clean
- daily coverity scans show it's clean (barring some Coverity issues)
- it has a large number of test cases which run on every push to github
- many people are running v3 in production.

> the main issue being that a lot of people who might run it
> have basic configs...its only those people using a lot of the functions
> that will uncover more...so more people need to be running the 3.x
> in a more 'rigorous' environment BEFORE its released (if its released and
> has a hitherto unknown show stopper then confidence in 3.x will drop...it'll
> suffer from the same issue as other large software jumps and people will
> stick with 2.x

  There are a number of incompatible config changes between v2 and v3.
More than there were between v1 and v2.  There are more changes coming,
too.  But we want to release v3 now, so that the upgrade path is one of
least pain.

  But... the similarities between v3 and v2 are more than the
differences.  All of the proxy config is the same.  As is the virtual
servers, listeners, and 75% of the module configurations.  The changes
are to simplify it, and make it better.

  i.e. v3 has less code than v2, and does more.