DHCP issues in v3

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Oct 11 14:31:50 CEST 2013

Matthew Newton wrote:
> Finally got around to trying DHCP this evening. A bit late to hit v3 I'm
> afraid, but I've unfortunately been too busy to spend much time looking at
> FreeRADIUS recently. I figured I'd get it to act as a simple DHCP server for my
> network, and try and put together a simple HOWTO. Or at least, I would have
> done if I'd got that far ;-)

  Well, debugging is good, at least.

> Next - with as above, and also "interface = br0". This time, no warning about
> unicast only, but it still didn't see the broadcast packets.  This doesn't
> surprise me entirely, as I've specifically set an IP address, but there is no
> warning.

  IIRC, it's an issue with bridges.  As always, the server is at the
mercy of the OS.  It asks the OS for broadcast packets.  If the OS
doesn't send them...

> Next I have "ipaddr = *" and again commented out the interface option (not
> expecting it necessarily to work - the warning appears again). This works fine
> until FR tries to send a reply, and we get a segfault.

  Arran just committed a fix for that.

> I'm sure there shouldn't be negative IDs there...?

  That's the DHCP XID field.  It's a full 32-bit field.  It should be
printed as %u, not %d.  I thought I had fixed all of that...