segfault with 3.0.3 on rhel 6.5

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri May 16 14:28:32 CEST 2014

On 15 May 2014, at 17:17, Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> wrote:

> On 15 May 2014, at 15:33, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>
>> Stefan Paetow wrote:
>>> Just to confirm, I’ve been able to reproduce on my CentOS 6.5 system
>>> with an RPM version of this.
>>
>> I've pushed a fix.  It turns out that changing a "char*" pointer to a
>> "char" variable causes problems.
>>
>> Arran owes me a beer.
>
> I do *sigh*.
>
> I've added a line to the build matrix to build with -O2 and various env
> variables which enabled extra checks in Malloc. Hopefully one of those
> things will catch this sort of stupidity in future.
>
> The compiler can't catch these issues as were taking the pointer or an
> offset assigning it to a void* and then writing to it as the config is
> parsed. None of the normal type checking works.

Just a heads up, memory scribbling is now turned on by default in builds
against glibc with --enable-developer (or from .git). If there are any
use after free issues, or instances where uninitialised memory is
accessed it's very likely the server will crash.

This will also likely uncover defects in our dependencies as I imagine
malloc and free will work in the same way for those libraries. So if you
suddenly start seeing crashes in testing when you didn't before that's
most likely why.

I think were also to need to do RC releases a couple of week before minor
releases just to check that nobody has any issues until the test suite is
more comprehensive.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS Development Team