FreeRADIUS SSL version check

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jan 7 18:29:02 CET 2015

On Jan 7, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Bruce Bauman <bbauman at oit.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On a clean CentOS 6.6 host I built an RPM from the 3.0.x branch from git. It compiles and links OK, but when I run it I get:
>
> Wed Jan  7 11:57:35 2015 : Error: libssl version mismatch.  built: 1000105f linked: 10000003
>
> and the service fails to start. Am I doing something wrong in building the RPM, or is there a problem with the check?

  The check is correct.  You have two versions of OpenSSL installed.

> Both my FreeRADIUS sources and my CentOS host are up-to-date.

  Maybe you’re building the RPM on a system with version 1.1.5f of OpenSSL, and installing it on a system which has only 1.0.3.

  The issue is that OpenSSL changes its internal data structures in minor releases.  We’ve previously had FreeRADIUS crash when people “upgrade” their OpenSSL… and the data structures are different.

  We want to blame OpenSSL for the problem, rather than having people complain that FreeRADIUS crashes.