dlopen issues on Almalinux9

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jul 14 23:43:38 UTC 2022

On Jul 14, 2022, at 7:37 PM, Bill Campbell <bill at celestial.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build freeradius from the git version 4.0.0 on Almalinux9,

  So if v4 works, great.  Otherwise, it's largely unreleased, and unsupported.

  We're actively developing it, and it may (or may not) work on a day-to-day basis.

> but having problems with failures building the included dlopen.c.

  You haven't posted any actual error messages, so it's a little difficult to tell what's going on.

> Building under the OpenPKG package management system.
>
> # uname -a
> Linux almadev9.mi.celestial.com 5.14.0-70.13.1.el9_0.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 17 15:53:11 EDT 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> gcc-11.2.0
> binutils-2.38
> automake-1.16.5
> autoconf-2.71
> libtool-2.4.6

  None of that really matters.

> The compile is failing with __GLIBC_USE and __GNUC_PREREQ errors.

  Perhaps it would be useful to post the actual error messages.

> The configure script finds the system's -ldl, but I haven't been
> able to figure out how to use that instead of the included dlopen.

  The file scripts/build/dlopen.c doesn't implement the dlopen() API.  The system libdl.so implements that.

> I've had similar results trying to build on the latest versions
> of 64-bit Raspberry Pi Linux.

  If only there was some way to post actual error messages, instead of vague descriptions about the underlying platform.

  It should be blatantly obvious that the best approach is to post the error messages.