problem with using rlm_sql for accounting only

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Tue Aug 9 00:09:17 CEST 2005

John Donagher <john at webmeta.com> wrote:
> If the SQL server is inaccessible (i.e. down, or locked), freeradius
> rejects all radius requests. In my case, since the SQL database is being
> used only for accounting, this is not desired behavior.

  See the log messages.

  What's probably happening is that all of the threads are blocked,
waiting for SQl to respond.  Therefore, there are no threads ready to
service authentication requests, and they get discarded.

  The solution is to fix the SQL server so it doesn't go down.  If
it's a critical part of your infrastructure, I'm a little unsure as to
why it would go down, or lock FreeRADIUS out for many seconds at a
time.