problem with using rlm_sql for accounting only

John Donagher john at webmeta.com
Tue Aug 9 20:01:11 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 18:09 -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> John Donagher <john at webmeta.com> wrote:
> > If the SQL server is inaccessible (i.e. down, or locked), freeradius
> > rejects all radius requests. In my case, since the SQL database is being
> > used only for accounting, this is not desired behavior.
>
>   See the log messages.
>
>   What's probably happening is that all of the threads are blocked,
> waiting for SQl to respond.  Therefore, there are no threads ready to
> service authentication requests, and they get discarded.
>
>   The solution is to fix the SQL server so it doesn't go down.  If
> it's a critical part of your infrastructure, I'm a little unsure as to
> why it would go down, or lock FreeRADIUS out for many seconds at a
> time.

Indeed.. under normal circumstances it wouldn't go down. My issue is
that the SQL server is not a critical part of our infrastructure and I
don't want it to be (at this point anyway). I'm using it for accounting
trend reporting only.. in any event, Nicolas' suggestion was right on
and works like a charm.

Thanks
John