FR suddenly doesn't respond any more and eats all cpu

Benedikt Panzer benedikt.panzer at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Aug 19 00:37:05 CEST 2005

Hello everyone,

I've configured here a FreeRADIUS 1.0.4 and I'm running it now to handle
test requests. First, everything looked ok. FR responded all requests
correctly. But suddenly it didn't respond any more to RADIUS requests
and I saw it used 1 of my 2 cpus completly. Before it took between 1-2
percent of the cpu. FreeRADIUS even could not be killed by a normal
kill, I needed kill -9 to terminate it. It's very strange to me that
happend after half an hour normal behavior. Then I started FreeRADIUS in
debugging mode (-X) but then the error didn't occur until I stopped it 1
day later. Just now I ran it again in not-debugging mode and again after
about half an hour the same strange error: processor load about 99% and
no responses to any requests. And at the moment there are really few
RADIUS requests.

As I wrote, I don't have any debugging output before the error occured.
The error doesn't occur when running in debugging mode. It doesn't want
to be caught ;-)

Nevertheless, has anyone yet seen such a behavior or has an idea where
to look or a guest for the reason?

Thanks a lot, Benedikt

--
Benedikt Panzer                Abteilung Ausbildung
Rechenzentrum